Dawn House Women’s Shelter was founded in 1986 in response to a housing crisis in the City of Kingston. A diverse group of community individuals and organizations contributed to the setup and establishment as a non-profit, charitable organization that would provide a 24-hour crisis line and emergency shelter, support and resources for women over the age of 16, with or without children. Since its inception in 1986, there have been over 4,500 separate stays.
Dawn House supports and empowers homeless, vulnerably housed and marginalized women.
All women live in safe, affordable, accessible housing.
Dawn House is changing and moving. Dawn House sold its 302 Victoria Street location and is reinvesting in a new location where it will provide affordable supportive housing, transitional housing and wellness supports.
We would like to thank our Sponsors
- No one chooses to be homeless
- Safe and affordable housing is a fundamental human right
- Working to eradicate homelessness and poverty is everyone’s responsibility
- Homeless women are entitled to be treated with empathy, dignity and without judgement
- Women have a right to safety, security, confidentiality and informed consent
- Women have the right to unrestricted and un-stigmitized choices
- Collaboration, partnering and networking with community organizations and groups are essential to our work
Dawn House ceased operating as a 24 hour crisis shelter in 2016 and moved to a new location at 965 Milford Drive in the city's West End. Currently, the building is under construction and when finished will provide high support beds in its congregate housing wing and nine new permanent affordable supportive housing units. Dawn House will continue to provide wellness-based services and programs for homeless, marginalized and impoverished women.
The Molly golf tournament is in support of Dawn House and will raise money to support new siding on the outside of its new location at 965 Milford Drive. Sign up as a group of 4, or individually and we'll assign you to a team. Visit www.themolly.ca or download the REGISTRATION FORM. If you are interested in being a sponsor, donating a silent auction item, or prizes please download the SPONSOR Form. Please direct any questions to 613-545-1379.
An artist rending of our new building: